Some things to consider:
- Your topic must have enough information to span a year-long project.
- Since you are spending so much time on it, choose something that you are really interested in.
- Will you be able to create a variety of writing pieces, including a research paper with the amount of information you have?
- Are there a variety of sources on the topic? (ie. books, magazine articles, reference materials, primary source documents, multi-media information, as well as the internet)
- Do you have any personal connections to the topic?
Some questions to ask yourself about your topic:
- What issues do I care about and why?
- What types of things inspire me to make a difference in the world?
- What people or organizations do I admire because they have changed the world in a positive way?
- Have I ever done any volunteer work? How does that make me feel?
- What motivates me to make a difference?
Some websites to visit:
If you are looking for a person to use for your topic, these websites are a great resource:
If you are looking for an organization, these websites are a great place to start:
Some other topics in general:
- Women’s rights
- Conflict resolution
- Justice and discrimination
- Music and the arts
- Environmental issues
- Migrant/immigrant rights
- Slavery/trafficking of persons
- Right to education
- Right to housing
- Freedom of expression
- Animal rights